10/30/2010

NaNoWriMo Countdown: 2 Days.

So last night was Dungeons and Dragons night, and as per pre-NaNo preparations, I told the group my intentions for the next month, and that I was definitely going to be above my word count goals for every Friday so that I could come and play with everyone instead of being a lonely miser. So, now this provides the all-important mid-November incentive and one of those fun (and more than a little creative) distractions I mentioned a few days ago. And, of course, I developed a few more scenes for the novel in dreams that I can eventually use to beef out the story and characters. Those are always good.

Today's post, however, has almost nothing to do with NaNo. It has to do with gaming, my other great love.

I mentioned D&D at the top of the post, a thing I regretfully only just found enjoyment in a few months ago. I believe that any gamer who is in the least bit interested in story-based gaming should give it a go at least once or twice. As for me, fancying myself a writer, as well as someone who enjoys a grand fantasy story, I should have found my love for this long, long ago. Okay, so that line about being about gaming, but not NaNo? You probably guessed by now, but I kinda lied. NaNo-ers can draw great inspiration from a Dungeons and Dragons campaign, no matter which era it happens to be. I personally am plying my fourth edition experience into my writing style.

Unfortunately though, tabletop gaming has seen a large decline (but definitely not death) at the hands of console gaming, and someone like me is left wondering how such a thing could happen. These things should coincide with each other. Tabletop gaming is a wonderful thing, and can forge great friendships, or perhaps strengthen those that already exist. But, what is really satisfying about games such as D&D is the interactions between two or more players in-character. This is the stuff that many writers should really pay attention to, because this interaction is just about as real as if the characters existed in the 'real' world. It provides important insight into character background, gives them their own voice, and most importantly, brings them to life - a skill that some, like myself, have struggled with in times past.

So, if you're a writer, make an attempt to go down to your local tabletop game store, see when they run (if they run) their D&D (or similar) games and sit in on one or two of them, you might be surprised with what you can come up with. Or, if you're feeling really adventurous, see if you can join in on the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment