2/03/2011

Early Post is Early

I realize that this post is a bit early, according to my last update, but I wanted to talk about Dungeons and Dragons again. It's been a long time since I've mentioned it, and in that time, our group has gone their separate ways for now, having other obligations that needed tending to. But let me start by saying that I really miss playing D and D.

The main reason I loved to play was first and foremost, the friendships that I was able to forge amongst the other players. We all had common interests, similar senses of humor, and a deep love for rich, in-depth storytelling in our gaming experiences. The fact that I was able to meet these people at all, much less around the table of an awesome D and D campaign is something that I'm not likely to play off as coincidence.

I'll openly admit that I am what many would call a nerd. In fact, I'm so comfortable with it, that I don't even take offense to it anymore. It is who I am, and I'm perfectly fine with that. I find high fantasy and science fiction to be among the coolest genres out there. I find dragons immensely fascinating. Hell, I even played World of Warcraft for the longest time. But I'm going off on a tangent. What I'm really trying to say here is that I miss meeting with these people on a weekly basis. That interaction was most often the highlight of my week, and not having it there anymore is honestly a very depressing... hole, for lack of better terms.

Secondly, I loved both the game itself, and its mechanics. Prior to last year, I hadn't actually ever played Dungeons and Dragons, or any other table top role-playing game for that matter. I'd played games using similar mechanics, but under the shiny interface of some kind of video game system. It was the first time that I'd gotten really down into the dirt that is the math beneath the flash. In fact, the game that I've been playing for the past few days, Knights of the Old Republic, happens to use almost the exact D and D system that I had learned during the past year. So, going back and playing it again gave me a new appreciation and understanding about the mechanics behind all of the fancy lightsaber swinging and blaster shots, thereby enriching my time playing the game.

And if all of that wasn't enough, the game was FUN. Ask just about anyone what the most important part of gaming is, and many of them will tell you it's all about having some fun. Between the amazing people and the interesting gameplay, and adding in some very adaptable storyline, Dungeons and Dragons happens to be one of the most fun games I've played, and trust me, I've played more than enough to know what I like. Besides, in what other game would you be able to slay the dragon using nothing but a tin can and some string?

Anyway, I think I've rambled on long enough. I'll still be updating next Sunday with something or other, so if you're interested in whatever I'll have to say, please, feel free to stick around.

No comments:

Post a Comment