1/05/2011

Social Networking

If you haven't noticed by now, I have created a Twitter account that I'll promptly ignore for a long time, and you can see anything that I may find important enough to 'tweet' down and to the left, or at twitter.com/python862. What does this mean? Well, should I actually find myself using it, I'll be giving more up-to-date information on what I happen to be doing at the time. This means along the lines of "Hey guys, new blog post," or "Hey guys, new YouTube video," or, "Hey guys, I'm writing/playing something," and not "Hey guys, I made lunch."

While I'm at it, let me wax poetic about Twitter, or rather, social networking on the internet. If you would have asked me two years ago about what I thought of it, I would have probably either laughed in your face, or told you something along the lines of "it's the devil and deserves to reside in the lowest circle of Hell itself." Now? Well, my opinions so far haven't much changed, but I suppose that Twitter's a good enough way to send and receive information in a short and concise manner, and I recognize and appreciate its purpose. It should probably still sit firmly in Hell, though.

You see, social networking websites have never quite sat well with me. When Myspace was new and fresh in everyone's minds, I was perhaps the only person on Earth to shun and turn my back on it. I never felt any remorse for that decision. Then Facebook came along and took the throne of 'flavor of the month' networking site. At first, I turned my back on that, too. But then I came to realize that perhaps I was being a little closed-minded about it all. I never really had an issue with the form or function of these websites, I just unreasonably and unequivocally despised the idea. My thinking at the time was that if you weren't able to keep track of all of your friends out in the real world, then why would you bother trying at all? But then again, I always was the one with the smaller groups of friends. One of the black sheep, if you will.

So recently, I tried Facebook out and found that it's incredibly easy to keep tabs on what people are doing. Even that long-lost uncle that seems to be missing more than a few screws. The one thing I really don't like about the service? All those damn apps and the message spam you're liable to receive if one of your friends uses them. I don't mean to be rude, but I really don't care about the wood on your farmstead, or who you just served in your little cafĂ©. At least there's the option to ignore all of those updates.

Anyway, what're your thoughts about Facebook and its ilk?

No comments:

Post a Comment